Green River Starting to Reopen Fall 2021
By Wendy Lee Stewart, Vice President of International Programs and Extended Learning, August 11, 2021
As the world continues to face the challenges of COVID, Green River College is committed to providing access to affordable, high-quality education for students from around the world.
In-person and Online/Virtual Instruction and Service
For students who plan to remain in their home country, we will continue to offer comprehensive online/virtual instruction and service. For students who are able to come to the U.S. to study, we will begin to phase in in-person instruction and service starting fall quarter. The International Programs office and the library will be open Monday through Friday to provide in-person services. Other areas of campus including the Recreation and Athletics Center will be open two days per week.
In order to provide a safe and healthy environment for study, Green River is now a vaccinated campus. What this means:
- All students whether vaccinated or not against COVID-19 must wear a face mask at all times while on campus.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the second Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech dose, or two weeks after receiving the single-dose Johnson & Johnson/Jannsen vaccine. In addition, Green River College will accept vaccinations approved by the World Health Organization (WHO). That means if students received a vaccine in their home country and it is authorized by WHO, it will be accepted at Green River College.
- Students and employees who have verified that they are fully vaccinated are currently not required to wear a face-covering on campus. Note: This procedure will adjust as COVID conditions change. We will follow Department of Health masking guidelines.
- Individuals who are vaccinated but would still like to wear a face-covering are encouraged to do so.
- Safety protocols are subject to change based on current national, state, and local health requirements.
Vaccinations are widely available in Washington state and international students are eligible to get a vaccination. Sites and available appointments are found here https://vaccinelocator.doh.wa.gov/. Green River will host vaccination clinics on campus: August 23, September 17, and October 11.
Please note: The vaccination requirement applies to students studying in the US. It does not apply to students who plan to study outside the US in their home country.
Arrival in U.S. For Vaccinated Students
- Refer to CDC international travel information.
- Before and Upon Arrival - All students must provide a negative COVID-19 test 72 hours before boarding the plane. Upon arrival, students need to show proof of vaccination. Although vaccinated, they will still need to quarantine for 3 days.
- Quarantine – Students who are fully vaccinated can take the COVID-19 test again after 3 days. If the test result is negative, quarantine is no longer needed. Please note: Green River will provide Self COVID-19 tests in their Welcome Kit.
- Masks – Masks will not be required if vaccinated. However, they will be encouraged.
Arrival in the U.S. For Unvaccinated Students
- Before and Upon Arrival – All students must provide a negative COVID-19 test 72 hours before boarding the plane.
- Quarantine – Students who are not vaccinated will need to quarantine for 10 days.
- Masks – Masks are required for vaccinated or unvaccinated students.
- Vaccine – Students will be eligible and encouraged to get the vaccine.
We look forward to welcoming our new students on campus. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.