e-Learning Computer and System Requirements
Some online classes have special hardware and software needs. Your professor will tell you about them once you're in the course. Otherwise below is a general list that should work for most online classes.
Personal computer running Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP
Canvas will not work on earlier versions of Windows although you may have problems with Vista or XP. It is possible to use the computers on campus to complete your course.
Macintosh running Mac OS X
Canvas will not work on earlier versions of the Mac OS. Some courses will not work on a Macintosh -- check the instructor's site for the course.
Not all features in Canvas will work on mobile devices such as smart phones or tablet computers. As a general rule, all you can expect to do is read class material. Mobile devices may not allow you to submit papers, take tests or reply to discussion forums. If you are using a mobile device, we recommend opening Canvas in a browser.
You'll also need:
- Internet access and a high speed internet connection.
- 10 megabytes or more of space on your hard drive
- You may also need a CD-ROM drive on your Mac or PC
- Your Green River email address. Look up my student email address.
Browser software for online courses
- Windows and Mac users -- The two most recent versions of all browsers. Make sure you are using the latest version of your browser.
- Apple mobile device -- Canvas has an Apple app but we recommend opening Canvas in a browser.
- Android mobile device -- Canvas has an Android app but we recommend opening Canvas in a browser.
Word processing software
You may also need word processing software such as Microsoft Word, Google Docs, or Works. Certain courses may require additional software so check with the instructor and the course site for your specific class.
Email the Office of e-Learning with other questions.